Roadside Chat - No scrolling while your vehicle is rolling
Smartphones are amazing tools that keep us connected to friends and family, help us find information on the internet, and entertain us with all kinds of games and videos. They are also deadly distractions if you’re using your phone behind the wheel.
The three main causes of distraction all come together for a driver who uses a cell phone.
- Visual – Eyes off the road
- Manual - Hands off the wheel
- Cognitive - Mind off of driving
Statistics of smartphone use explain the dangers:
- According to Statista.com, the number of adults who own smartphones increased from 35% in 2011 to 85% in 2021.
- According to gov, 660,000 drivers are using cell phones or manipulating electronic devices while driving at any given daylight moment.
- According to https://www.nhtsa.gov/campaign/distracted-driving, 3,142 lives were lost in crashes involving distracted drivers in 2020 and more than 29,000 have been killed in these types of crashes from 2012 to 2020.
When you’re in traffic, how many people are driving distracted? https://youtu.be/BqBBVHzHV0c
In Iowa in 2022, there have been 173 deaths in traffic crashes. That’s an increase of nine since last Friday. To see statistics published daily by the Office of Driver Services, go to the daily fatality report at https://www.iowadot.gov/mvd/stats/daily.pdf